Thursday, January 18, 2007

CT Scan- the after-effects...

Greebo- unamused at Mum's drug-dealing...


Well a quick update re: the CT Scan after-effects. As you know I had the scan on Tuesday, and sadly (and must say, unexpectedly), Tues night was a very bad night with my neck. The pain began to build around 9.30 p.m, so I had an early night, but the pain snowballed... nothing I could do- or take- would stop it. Eventually the tears were streaming down my face with the pain until, at 2.30 a.m., I ended up trying to sleep on the settee downstairs to support my neck on the leather sofa arm (bed pillows weren't enough). I fell asleep fitfully for a few hours, and then managed to drag myself into work exhausted and still in a fair amount of pain.

I gave up- I made an emergency appointment with the GP that morning (Wednesday a.m.), and after my explanation of my pain and symptoms (numbness in left hand, excruciating pain from neck down left arm into pins and needles in palms),and his examination, I have now been prescribed:

  • Diclofenac: as before (anti-inflammatory)
  • Kapake: as before (strong painkillers- 2 down from morphine apparently so he can't prescribe me anything stronger without consultant authority. Didn't know that GPs are only licensed to a certain level to prescribe drugs, which I found out today)
  • Diazepam: (new) muscle relaxants and nerve pain inhibitor
  • Amitriptiline: as before, but 4x my old dose, and, if required, up to 10x my current prescription -more muscle relaxants.

I could now set up a pharmacy in my own right.
Or become a soddin' dealer.
GRRR!!!
Not doin' bad for a person who HATES taking medication- even aspirin!!
!



I was advised by my doctor that if was still this bad in 12 hrs time (which made me laugh, as I'd actually improved by the time he'd seen me) I was to go to Casualty at the hospital for them to use other measures to control the pain. (Thankfully, I did not need to go to A&E- the diazepam cocktail did the trick and floored both me and the pain into fluffy little cloud-world by 10.30)

He agreed with my suspicion that it was the CT scan yesterday that kicked this off, as they 'fix' your head in one position with a clamp so they can image the brain/neck without any movement for what seems an eternity.
This had obviously peed off my neck muscles and main brachical nerve (goes from neck through arm). GP tests showed 40% strength in my left hand (bad news as I'm left handed) and the pain constantly running right through my arm was really frustrating me. I was writing like a 7 year old as I couldn't hold the pen properly (but then, would anyone notice...answers on a postcard...)


  • Bad news- absolutely no alcohol.

  • Good news- totally banned from any exercise at all incase I have a blackout whilst swimming or jogging in the street and get run over! Not even allowed to do my yoga or pilates 'cos of the risk of stress on my neck/artery. There's always an upside!!! heh heh. Cue Dominos pizzas & size 20 clothes.
So I await the scan results with interest- as does my GP. I must return in 2 weeksfor ongoing assessment. I must say guys, I got a fair nasty fright Tuesday night, just very grateful it isn't like that all the time anymore. And at least now I have medicines to take the edge off the pain and relax the muscles, while I await the true diagnosis and treatment plan. Which is more than I've had before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Celia, you poor buggar. I can only imagine the pain you are putting up with and as yet still undiagnosed - pain killers to ease the pain are great but a cure would be better. Keep us informed.

Great niece in Germany on scholarship studying german also has a blog which I log onto. She informed us of the cyclone conditions there and then the news showed UK, said you were the worst hit. So close to your home.

Loved the shot of Greebo's back. (Cute) Comments approriate also.