Sunday, September 16, 2007

Birthday Week!


Celia & Darren's fridge earlier this week...


36!! Indeedie, I am now 36. Where has the year gone?

I had the entire week of work to have some relaxation and chill time, as haven't stopped for breath since April.


On Monday I drove up to The Borders of Scotland and England....amazing breathtaking views.





I had always wanted to go up 'The Old Shap Road' as my Dad used to call it....the only route between Scotland and England before the Motorway in the 1970s. It was well known for being treacherous, steep and dangerous back in those days during the winter months. I remember as a kid, my Mum watching the weather every winter, and as soon as snow hit The Shap, she'd say, "right that's it...can't go up now until Spring". And that meant we'd have to use the railway to go and see Dad in Scotland...cue freezing carriages, breakdowns and blizzards getting off at Hamilton with policeman stood, freezing as the wind whipped round and carried his shouting voice, directing us towards taxis as you couldn't see your own hand infront of your face...ahh childhood!

The Shap was infamous in our house. Absolute rubbish in modern cars, but back 'in the day', it truly was a shady drive, having to use 3rd then 2nd gear to get over the mountains. The welcome relief when you hit the village because you knew you'd made it. Really wanted to see this place, a journey that I have apparently already experienced as a babe in arms, moving to England.
Well my wee modern Corsa made the drive up the old roads an absolutely delight and pleasure. The scenery was breathtaking, and I thoroughly enjoyed my wee picnic in grassy fields, watching the high light clouds scuttle across the blue sky.
Chicken soup for the soul.


Rest of the week...

D and I had Tues/Wed and Thursday off work together. Tuesday was my birthday!!! And we celebrated by drinking Bucks Fizz breakfast, sunbathing, reading and playing swingball in the backgarden!! We also went a bit mad buying in drinkies...and stayed in, had a takeaway, and watched DVDs and played on the XBox. Perfectly relaxing and just what I needed....downtime without rushing around.



Wednesday we went in Fleetwood Prom, and D spoiled me with a portion of chips. We sat on the front looking out across the river and sea...gorgeous sunny day....actually lovely. Visited his Granny and then went for a lovely meal at a local restaurant, Gurkha, Nepalese Indian and Chinese food....Yuuummmm....

Thursday we chilled out, again, more sunbathing!!!




The weekend has been rainy (waaaah), which is typical Tonight going to watch Billy Connolly on Tour- playing Blackpool! So nipping for a meal first, then going to the Winter Gardens. Can't wait...he's a brilliant comedian.
Just wish it hadn't decided to throw buckets of rain down today, after a scorching week! Typical! Poor Billy...visiting Blackpool and it's hissing down...


We'll let you know how it goes!



xx

2 comments:

Darren said...

Good stuff, frog!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday. I'm sorry, I am too busy at the moment :-(
I wished I could go and see Billy Conolly once.

We should definately meet in Scotland somewhen.