Monday, July 31, 2006

Visiting Mark in London

Darren and Mark in Windsor

D and I visited one of my oldest friends, Mark Jagger, in London this weekend. Known him since I was 20. Arrrggh lol! Hadn't been to see him since 2002 when the three of us went to see the band Garbage in Brixton Academy. We had a brilliant time in 2002, and had been really wanting to visit him again, but schedules always got in the way. We met at his restaurant (he's the Manager of Nico's Restaurant in The Crown Plaza at Heathrow Airport), as he couldn't manage to get anyone to cover the evening shift. We set off 8pm and arrived just before midnight. Met his lodger Sean and pal Dan, with whom D and Mark had a mini-lock-in before heading to Mark's house. I had a few drinks too upon landing at Mark's house, and then D and I slept on the inflatable mattress in the livingroom lol.


Windsor Castle

On Saturday Mark took us into Windsor and we had a nice we wander around, visited a few pubs, and sat in the beer garden before getting some v nice food in the Lloyds pub, sitting on the verandah, shaded by the parasols overlooking Windsor's parks and canal basking in the sunshine...lovely.


View from the Lloyds verandah...




We caught up on alot of gossip, and then returned to the house to his lodger Sean and pal Karen, who happens to herald from Anchorsholme (not 6 miles from where we live near Blackpool). She's a qualified and happily working teacher, but, as weird as co-incidence is, she worked at D and I's workplace a few years ago when at Uni as a casual Admin Assistant and even worked at the other end of my office (about 60 people per office) and I could actually place her, even though she'd only been there 3 months 2yr ago lol! As Warbreck houses over 200o civil servants, that is a weird statistical probability. Not only does she know my mate, but used to work in my office 250 miles away- never did I dream we'd end up being mutual friends of a bloke that lives in London, nevermind meet again! Cracking girl.

Karen, Sean & Devil Woman


The five of us went out to Uxbridge that night, as Mark knew we were a tad skint (weekend before payday) so Central London was out. We had a wee drink in a few pubs and a late bar, girls had a dance, and most of us had a kebab (Sorry but haute cuisine note here: not as good as Sinbad's in Blackpool. And nothing can beat a Wolverhampton kebab. Good try but 7 out of 10).

Ww arrived home 2.30, and we were looking forward to a relaxing drink and chill in the backgarden before retiring. Instead D and I managed to get 4 and a half hrs sleep after a situation unfolded, that resulted in staying up with Mark until dawn, me sat out on the patio in the spitting rain with him, while D cleaned the sofa and carpet where Karen had projectile vomited...(you look back at this things in time, and laugh, hopefully...)

The next morning Mark set us up with a fantastic fry up for the drive home, and we all sat outside on his patio:


Darren's appreciative photo of his Sunday morning breakfast (flippin' gorgeous yum yum)

To be honest I was totally psychologically and physically shattered, so the return home took 5 and a half hours, with me at one point seriously thinking of staying overnight in a Birmingham motel as I was exhausted with lack of sleep and my trapped nerve was kicking off. D did most of the driving home bless him. I felt guilty as I am the experienced driver and I was unable to do my fair share. But Darren insisted if I wasn't feeling well then he would jump in. He took it in his stride...you would never know he's only ever driven on a motorway 5-6 times since passing his driving test this February, and the motorway drives were reasonably short drives (most was 100 miles). I just got us out of London thru M25, M4 and then swapped at Oxford on the M40. Darren did the M40, M42, M6 & M55 ( I valiantly tried a drive attempt again at Sandbach, but could only manage 20 mins before having to pull over onto a slip-road and swap places. My neck was wrecking me and I was scared that I was losing concentration due to fatigue). I fell asleep when D took over the driving I was that sure of his abilities, felt totally safe...and I don't like sleeping in cars!

We landed around 7 and called out for Dominos (no way could we face cooking lol) and made a big fuss of the cat, who Ann had fed for the past two days. He was in the mood for big cuddles and affection. Normality was restored when Greebo sat in D's lap. Ahhh!!

Darren and I in the beer garden of Henry IV pub in Windsor



No comments: