Thursday, September 07, 2006

Holidaying, Peter Kaye style...



Yes readers, as the comedian Peter Kay says, "Booked it, packed it, f*cked off!". We booked a last minute 7 day holiday to Gran Canaria last night on Teletext...yes, after spending hours trawling internet sites, the best deal ended up being on good ol' fashioned teletext- can you believe it!!!




So on Monday morning (MY BIRTHDAY...ahem, she said, casually), at 7.30 a.m., we are on a jet plane and off to the Canary Islands! Can't wait. Infact, desperate for a holiday...last time I went on a sunseeking holiday was with my Mum in 1992 to Malta. Otherwise it's been work. Work, and abit of work thrown in. You know it's bad when your 85 yr old father (who should be clinging to you for dear life) is demanding that I go on holiday, "yer only young once", etc etc!!


ahh...the azure sea of Gran Canaria...I'll be in it this time on Monday...

And you know, he has a point! The years are flying by, and I'm counting down the final few days of being 34 and seeing that there is alot more to life than promotion, money and material gains...all of which you can't take with you. Plus it aint likely that the minister at my funeral is going to mention "and Celia gained her promotion into management at 29 yrs old, has a £100k house and Capital Bonds". No...you're remembered for being a loving partner/sister/friend, great sense of humour, etc... yes I am hitting a mid-thirties crisis, and LOVING IT!

I love counting down the days to my birthday, I always have a look back over the past year and see what I've done, and what I want to do next.

I've:
  • Started a Blog!!!!!!
  • Piloted a plane
  • Become a Godmum!
  • Been with D five years (is it reeeally that long?)
  • Survived (and enjoyed) a mud-strewn festival
  • Seen Karen more
  • Got myself a new car I adore (fondly nicknamed Basil after the airplane I flew lol)
  • Revisited Dublin
  • Visited old and dear friends (Karen, Mark)
  • Started and stopped a Masters Degree (due to illness, but have learnt alot in the process)
  • Been passionate about my work, and the culture change. Pushed my boundaries and been rewarded with increased self belief and confidence...very much lacking before.
  • Had Life coaching, and been encouraged by my Coach to become one for the department! (Yes Karen, you have every right to be laughing and smug...you told me I should do this 3 years ago, but I wasn't in a place where I could listen...thanks for believing in me xx)
  • Begun the Family Tree for the Dalys! Thanks Aunt Lorraine!!! xxxx Got back to great-grandfather Charles Daly thanks to you, Aunt Rose and fabulous documents kept safe by my Dad, belonging to my sadly departed Mum.

As for what I want to do in my 35th year:

I will;

  • Go on a 2week holiday somewhere hot (yes I'm getting greedy lol)
  • Continue with the family tree...never know what surprises it may bring lol!!
  • Freshen up my rusty German, so I can write to my cousin Nici more (without having to cheat and use Babelfish translator to check my spelling lol)
  • Continue with this fabulous thing called a Blog!
I also hope that I shall do plenty of things totally without planning, as I do tend to over-plan things (but it does pay off sometimes- remember my demanding wellies for V Festival lol)

So here I come,
from Blackpool...




to the Canary Islands (even their road looks nice)...

I shall return with photos a-plenty and, no doubt due to my Irish/Scottish lineage, either burnt red, or, akin to the Dulux paint, " white with a hint of tan".


Either way, Ole!!


.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good one Celia, I know you will have a ball. Look forward to photos and input. Watch the skin in the sun. Enjoy yourself which we know you will.