Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Shock to my system

Hmm how to start.

Things have been a tad shady.

Last Thursday afternoon, sat at my workstation as normal, I suddenly started to shake and tremor uncontrollably down the entire left side of my body (and according to my friend Kathy sat across from me, it looked as if I'd suddenly gone into deep hypothermic shock, such was the severity of the shaking). I managed to call D, who immediately left his office and drove me home, as I knew I was unsafe to drive. My teeth were chattering, my left arm couldn't be held down, jumping all over the place. My back seized into muscles spasms and I was in absolute pain.

We eventually got home (it seemed like forever) and I dove into bed, still shaking, but now able to actually speak properly. With the help of some muscle relaxants I have prescribed for my neck, the tremors stopped after 1-2 hrs and I crashed out fast asleep in bed, exhausted, and my body now feeling the effects of the tremors- the pain kicked in where muscles had been put beyond their capacity.

I had an appointment on Friday morning to see the General Practitioner anyway, and D organised an emergency appointment with the Chiro Friday afternoon, and both did lots of tests. GP was concerned but said it hadn't been life-threatening, wasn't sure what it was, thought it was nerve-related, but not sure. He wanted the Chiro Doc's second opinion. He decided against hospital as I would wait all day to then be told "it's not life-threatening- see your GP". So he sent me on my way with more muscle relaxants and immortal words of "If it happens again, let me know."

The Chiro doc refused to treat me, as suspected a TIA (mini-stroke). He demanded I didn't drive long distances or go to Bristol (I was supposed to be there on Monday and Tuesday for a work meeting). Instead, I was to return on Tuesday-his day off- for a battery of tests lasting nearly an hour. Darren, bless, accompanied me then.

The TIA has been reduced to a possible, and replaced with possible joint seizure in my neck, causing a physiological over-load, resulting in my body going haywire. My body may have kicked into over-drive trying to get messages to and from the brain. So nerve pulses misfired, and were scrambled in a double feed-back loop, causing the severe tremors and muscle spasms. What bothers him though, it that it only effected the left side of the body. So the possibility of a 'soft lesion on the brain' is also being kicked around. This can repair, apparently, and be treated.

MS was also mentioned but he doubts it, due to my positive reaction to the treatment. He did the same tests again after stimulating the major nerves in the top of my neck, and my balance (I couldn't stand with my eyes closed without falling) and the weakness through the left side of my body (which used to be brilliant, as I'm left-handed) had improved slightly. It wouldn't improve if it were MS or TIA with 10 minutes of nerve stimulation.

He's writing to my GP with his findings, and recommending a scan to rule out TIA or lesions. He also wants my GP to explore avenues of NHS investigation.

I am to return on Friday to the Chiro for more tests and treatment, and to book an appointment with the GP for next week. He shall have received the Chiro's letter by then, and I am to discuss my case with him.

The poor Chiro doesn't know that by Friday, I shall have pen and paper in hand and barrage of questions I want answering for clarification.

To be honest- it was a frightening experience. It was all so much info with nasty names being banded around, that I sat shell-shocked. Darren did too. I tried to be my usual rational self, but my concentration just wasn't there. So I'm writing it all down on Friday so I can clarify things in my head.


I'll keep you posted sweethearts, but above all, don't worry- this is ME! I'm a feisty wench!!

Celia 35yrs and 16 days xxx








...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You say "Don't worry" bit hard.
Sounds rather frightening not knowing. I can imagine how you felt when it happened. Please do keep us informed as it is quite a dilemma - strange symptoms.

Celia said...

Thankyou honey xxx