Saturday, October 07, 2006

Celia- First Aider Extrordinaire...

Da daah!

Oh yes, Celia has passed her First Aid exams!!

I was very nervous...last time I was this nervous was doing my Degree Finals. Honest!!

The first of the two exams was the oral exam, where the first examiner gave you different scenarios, and asked you what you would do...for instance, someone collapsing with epilepy, heart attack, etc. Questions about how would I notice someone going into shock, what you would do, all that kind of thing. Had fun bandaging a fellow trainee too.



Then I had to go to another room to undertake the practical exam, where someone had collapsed, and the other examiner watched how you put them in the recovery position, and questioned about how you would treat them, watch for breathing, comfort, etc. Also had to do CPR on the CPR doll (where you do heart compressions and rescue breaths). Barrage of questions followed "how many breaths does a person take in a minute; how many types of cuts are there and list them; how would you treat a burn" etc etc. My nerves disappeared and I just went for it- everything became crystal in my head and I felt confident in my knowledge. Weird but great feeling.



I was seriously chuffed, as the First examiner (oral) was an ex-paramedic and now goes around the UK showing NHS nurses and staff how to do CPR in hospitals, and teaches the NHS Resusitation Unit how to do their job. He asked whther I'd ever done First Aid before, as I was a natural, and stated I should seriously think about a change of job! I was floating- if nothing else, it crystallised the fact in my heart, that when I'd done it on my Mum when she had one of her heart attacks (she had 5 overall), I had done it properly.


So now I await the arrival of my work First Aid kit and the lovely bright green tabbard you have to wear on Fire Drills. I shall look soo attractive!! Watch this space for photos lol !!!




....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST AID DRILL. WILL LOOK FORWARD TO THOSE PICTURES!!!

WAS NOT AWARE THAT YOU WERE WITH YOUR MUM WHEN SHE HAD HER HEART ATTACK. YOU ARE A VERY ACCOMPLISHED YOUNG LADY AND HEY CLEVER WITH IT. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND KEEP US INFORMED RE YOUR OWN HEALTH PROBLEMS. WILL BE INTERESTED TO HEAR THE OUTCOME.