Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Perfect Gig - New Order

New Order + Blackpool= once in a lifetime opportunity...


Yes, New Order in Blackpool!


As my beloved D is a massive NO fan (and I'm pretty keen too), it was a no-brainer back in the summer when the tour dates were released. They usually hang around Manchester, and D and I have seen them there twice together. They hadn't played Blackpool for nearly 25 years, and D's birthday is in December, so I leap at the chance to get tickets for an early birthday pressie.




We had a few pre-gig drinkies in a great pub in town (Gillespies) where we caught up with some mates, before setting off to the Winter Gardens, where they played in the gorgeous and ornate Empress Ballroom. It was packed. I mean, as in, totally packed. Wasn't this full for Radiohead, nor Placebo, who we've seen in there this year.


It was a cracking set- full of old Joy Division favourites, as well as belting out new and old NO tracks. The gig started with the new classic Crystal, setting the tempo for the rest of the night. Ceremony, Temptation, Love will Tear Us Apart and The Perfect Kiss were just some of the crackers that were belted out to the rapt and energised fans. Absolute class act. D and I caught the taxi home, and hit the DVD player with more NO, having a few naughty drinkies until way past the witching hour- on a school night! Tut tut!


New Order may never play in Blackpool again...and boy, 3,000 people, D and I, knew we were watching one of the best live acts you will ever see, in our own backyard.


The Perfect Gig...



....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done! Great blog entry. It's as if I was there with you on the night.

Hang on. I was. Ho ho ho ho.

Cute!